Professional Support

If you think you would benefit from further help or advice, there are several options:

  • Your local burns service

The burns service where your child was treated would be a valuable source of support or could help you to access support elsewhere. If you no longer live in the same area, were treated elsewhere, or that service no longer exists, you can contact your nearest hospital burns service for advice.

  • Your GP

Your GP can discuss with you how you are feeling and refer you to an appropriate service.

  • Your local IAPT Service

Search for an IAPT Service in your local area (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies)

  • Private psychological support

If you would like to seek private psychological support, you can use the links below. First, it is helpful to understand the difference between the kinds of professionals who might help you (psychologist, psychotherapist or counsellor).

To find a Psychologist in your area you can use the following links from the British Psychological Society (BPS) website:

When you find a psychologist in your area, check if they are registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)

To find a Counsellor or Psychotherapist near you:
Check the Counselling Directory

Or, the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) ‘find a therapist’

When you find a counsellor or psychotherapist near you, check that they are on the BACP Register

To understand the professional accreditations awarded by professional bodies for example, ACAT, ACC, BACP etc., click here.

  • If at any time you feel overwhelmed, unable to cope, or just need to talk to someone, you can get in touch with one of the following organisations:

Samaritans - 116 123 (UK) / 116 123 (ROI)
NHS Urgent Healthcare Services - 111
NHS Choices

  • In an emergency, you can also go to your local A&E (Accident and Emergency) Department – click here to find your nearest A&E